Friday, August 20, 2010

5 Years.

Wow, it’s weird to write that out. 5 years. I remember when we were first married and people told us they’d been married 10 months or 1 year and it seemed like a long time. But when you get married so young it’s practically illegal (okay so I was barely 21 and Mitch was barely 22), it sure makes these first couple years just fly by. When we got married I had just finished a study abroad in London and had one year left at BYU; Mitch had three years left at BYU and was working for an architect in Orem. People at my old company used to make fun of me all the time… they’d say, “Oh how old are you?” 23. “And you’ve been married 2 years already? You need to live your life, experience your 20s, blah, blah.” Well I did people; I just did it with my husband!

Our anniversary was on Tuesday (same day as my sister’s—they just hit 10 years!). That night our friends Jenny and Marty watched Emerson so we could go out—we had a dinner at Benihana using a coupon for Mitch’s birthday month meal and then went to the Dave Matthews’ concert. We were excited to have a great concert coming to town on our anniversary.P1060404

P1060423

I have a really funny video I’ll have to upload with Dave telling the audience we were tasty like Italy and like pasta.P1060426

P1060420

Mitch had to work earlier during the day but one of my best friends was in town staying with us, so we had a fun day together chatting and going to eat (and visiting the London Market in SLC). These are the girls I went to Venice with. We have lots of great memories, like being hit on by Italian men saying, “Wine, cappuccino, my heart?” No joke.P1060402

Well we really couldn’t afford to go on a big trip like several people suggested we do to celebrate 5 years, but it was still a great day. My favorite line from Mitch is: “Happy anni Shanny.”

7 comments:

elise said...

Happy, happy!

I totally remember thinking that 5 years seemed like such a long time when we were first married, too. Crazy how quickly it goes by. I remember your wedding like it was last week.

Big trips are overrated, anyway. (Not really). But I 100% sympathize with you on not being to afford it, if it is any consolation. Jason's parents just got back from Costa Rica & were telling us all about how great it was & that we have to go...Probably won't happen for a good 10 years.

Anyway. Happy anniversary!

Lori said...

Yay!! That's a huge milestone. How awesome that you got to eat amazing food and have some delicious listening, too! I bet it was a blast! Congrats. I swear you are always having such fun adventures. Love it. It's because you're so on top of things. You guys work so well together. Happy anniversary! And I love how Mitch said it to you... so sweet.

Erinn said...

The years do fly by..we're hitting 5 years in December. Don't worry people would say the same thing about me since I got married at 19 but life with a husband is the best!

Congrats!

Erin said...

That is so cute! Five years flies by, doesn't it? We have never taken a trip for our anniversary and we've been together for six years. Your dinner and concert sound like a great way to celebrate!

Sabrina said...

Congratulations! Going to a DMB concert sounds like a great way to celebrate. I haven't seen them in years.

Rachel said...

Who needs a big trip to celebrate 5 years?!?! I'm glad you guys had such a great anni! :) Congratulations!

Jylare Smith said...

Happy anni Shanny? I love Mitch. So jealous you got to see Meg.